How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother will turn 88 next week and we have recently applied

Resolved Question:

My mother will turn 88 next week and we have recently applied for veteran's survivor benefits for her. Is there any other financial assistance she may qualify for which might help her with her rent in her assisted living facility.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John Legal replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.


There are VA Improved Pension Benefits if she meets the further qualification.


The basics of qualification are:


  1. Her husband, the veteran had to have served at least 1 day during a war time;
  2. Her assets have to be below $30,000 (see an elder law attorney if not);
  3. She must be Homebound or in a facility.

VA improved pension will pay around $1,000 per month if she qualifies. If her assets are too high do not apply. Her assets must be below $30,000 to qualify. An Elder Law attorney can help you get them down and qualify her for benefits. You can find an Elder Law attorney at

John Legal and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you