How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34421
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am moving out of an apartment, and have paid the exact amount

Resolved Question:

I am moving out of an apartment, and have paid the exact amount specified on the lease. The lease runs 54 weeks instead of 52. They say I owe one half a months rent for the extra 2 weeks, but my lease specifys a specific amount that I have already paid. What should I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 5 years ago.
If the written lease specifies an amount and term, then that is what you owe. A written lease may not be modified except by a written amendment signed by the parties. However, do check the terms of the lease for any provision regarding partial months and prorata rent.

If it is reported on you credit you can challenge the accuracy of the report with the reporting company and provide them a copy of the lease as your evidence. By law, the reporting company must remove inaccurate report items.
Loren and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you