How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get credit toward my child support obligation if I purchase

Resolved Question:

Can I get credit toward my child support obligation if I purchase a car for my 17 year old son and pay his car insurance? I reside in Florida.Thanks.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.


It is possible but you will have to get a court to order that the car and insurance are credited toward your support obligation. Without the court order you are still obligated to pay the ordered support even if you do buy the car and pay the insurance. The likelihood that the court will grant this is slim unless the custodial parent is financially able to support the child, ie provide for rent, mortgage, utilities, food, clothing, etc, without the support you are paying.

legaleagle and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you