How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6516
Experience:  Legal Expert
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my mom own a house - my name is XXXXX XXXXX the title -

Resolved Question:

Me and my mom own a house - my name is XXXXX XXXXX the title - I live here - she don't - I pay the taxes, insurance and all the bills. My girlfriend lives here - what legal right does my mom have to tell me that my girlfriend can't live here with me?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 5 years ago.

None, really. You and your mother each have equal rights to the house and can't unduly interfere with the others. If your mother wanted to live there, you would have to let her. She could also insist that you pay her rent for your using the whole house to her exclusion.

However, if she allows you to use the home and doesn't seek any compensation from you, she cannot control how you use the property.

Your accept (by clicking the green "accept") would be greatly appreciated. Although you have made a deposit, I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept. Thanks.

Thomas McJD and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you