How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has been helping his daughter and grandson with

Resolved Question:

My husband has been helping his daughter and grandson with money, food, paying for an aprartment and a vehicle including all the maintance of the vehicle for the past 10 months, after a bad relationship. she was told that all help would stop if she ever reconnected with him.. he is in and out of jail and does drugs... well she did reconnect and was stealing and doing drugs with him. the vehicle was impounded and my husband got it out... is there a way without her permission to obtain the vehicle and get a title in his name?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER = If the title is in her name she would have to agree to sign it over to your husband. His assistance was simply a gift to her and not an enforceable contract. He has no obligation to help her further but he cannot force her to sign over the vehicle. If he has placed a lien on the vehicle as a result of a loan then he could repossess the vehicle but this would have had to have been a signed note and chattel mortgage on the vehicle for him to do so.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you