NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.
11217539

Who has the right to diagnose your child with a learning disability

Who has the right to diagnose your child with a learning disability if a Neurologist and a Psychiatrist both have evaluated him and came up with nothing?
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome to JustAnswer.com.

What did the school diagnose him with, and how did they do it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All they will tell us is he has a cognitive disorder but they won't tell us what it is. They say the school psycologest could diagnose him with it but a regular psycologest might not find it. Now i know I am not all that smart but doesn't a real one go to school longer then the school? I am his step mother. His real mother tried to have him put on this program when my husband and her were divorceing .
That's a problem. They ought to be telling you what it is. They cannot just say "cognitive disorder". And, you are right. A licensed psychologist is more qualified than the school's IEP supervisor.

I suggest you go the superintendent with the psychiatrist's diagnosis and report. That should trump the school's IEP determination.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You We will try this.