How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116807
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a dentist who had a P.A. A former associate who was an

This answer was rated:

I am a dentist who had a P.A. A former associate who was an independent contractor made a set of dentures for a patient who was dissatisfied. I offered to examine the patient but the patient refused. She was refunded her money in full. The patient is now suing me personally for negligence for one and half million dollars. She claims the dentures reduced her ability to taste and created numbness in her upper lip. I never treated her and she refused to return for a follow up examination. This is a removable appliance and I have never heard of these hinds of problems caused from new dentures. Does she have a case? Should I countersue for defamation and filing a frivolous claim?
First, it is a malpractice claim and she would have to provide a medical expert to conclude that what has happened was beneath the duty and standard of care on your part. However, if the patient refused examination, then this is part of your defense.

Under FL law, she must include a verified written medical expert opinion corroborating that there are reasonable grounds to believe that each named defendant was negligent. Fla. Stat. Ann. § 766.203. Also, as you are denying negligence, you must also provide a corroborating verified written medical expert opinion.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Specifically what I want to know is am I liable for dental work performed by another dentist working for my professional corporation as an independent contractor? The way I read your answer it appears that you thinkthat I had done the dental work in question
Yes, FL does have vicarious liability for those who are contractors or employees of a professional corporation, but it would be the professional corporation who is liable. As far as you personally, you would be liable only if they can prove you were negligent in selecting the P.A. or you were supposed to actively supervise the P.A. and negligently failed to do so.
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you