TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Hello, What patient information does health insurance have

Hello, What patient information does health insurance have access to when you file a claim? Is it possible for them to know all of the doctors notes and how exactly an accident happened? If they have any questions about what happened are they going to call me or doctors? Thank you
Expert:  TexLaw replied 6 years ago.

Zachary D. Norris :

Zachary D. Norris :

Your health insurance will have access to your entire medical record. This is a condition of the company accepting the liability to insure you.

Zachary D. Norris :

If the insurer has any questions, it could call either you or the doctor to further their investigation.

Zachary D. Norris :

It will likely only call you, as the doctor will most likely not take the call.

Zachary D. Norris :

Although it may speak to someone at your doctors office

Zachary D. Norris :

like a medical assistant

Zachary D. Norris :

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Zachary D. Norris :

or if you have any follow up questions.

Zachary D. Norris :

I'm going to switch over to Q&A format. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to address them.

Zachary D. Norris :

Thanks,

Zachary D. Norris :

ZDN

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
On the day the ambulance took me to the hospital I told a wrong information about what happened to the doctors because I was in pain shock. Now on a record it sounds like I had a self-inflicted injury which my insurance is not going to cover. The hospital doesn't want to change the record. I was just wondering if the insurance company gets to see everything since it is my personal information. I had to give a signed permission to my husband to access my information. I am surprised that the insurance company gets to see everything. The hospital bill is very big and does it mean now with a wrong record I won't be able to make my health insurance pay for it even if I explain everything?
Thank you