Hello, We bought a land parcel in Indianapolis, Indiana

Customer Question
Hello, We bought a land parcel...

We bought a land parcel in Indianapolis, Indiana from a person that is located in California, we are also located in CA. We signed a warranty deed notarized it and sent it out to the county in Indiana in March of 2011. We got a stamped deed back from then and posted parcel for sale on eBay.... Read full answer

We bought a land parcel in Indianapolis, Indiana from a person that is located in California, we are also located in CA. We signed a warranty deed notarized it and sent it out to the county in Indiana in March of 2011. We got a stamped deed back from then and posted parcel for sale on eBay. Unfortunately the county did not record it completely because afterwards they realized that the middle initial from the seller was missing on the warranty deed and requested more paperwork. we have sent out the new, corrected deed to the county for rerecording, but they took months to complete the rerecording. Meanwhile the land sold on eBay with quit claim deed to the new owner. So the buyer paid with his credit card through PayPal. We got the money after paying the PayPal fees and eBay fees. We recorded a new quit claim deed form, notarized it and mailed it out to the county with all the needed fees. The quit claim deed did not require buyers signature, so the only proof that the buyer wanted to buy the property we have is winning eBay page, his feedback after he won, and emails that he won it and paid forward it and now is awaiting forward the transfer. Buyer was responsible for all the back dated taxes according to the agreement. Unfortunately county took too long to transfer the proerty from the original seller to us and then too him, so the last buyer decided he doesn't want it, even though the paperwork was already filed with the county. So he cancelled the credit card transaction with PayPal, PayPal froze our account and refunded him the money, claiming it was a decission of a credit card company and they have nothing to do with it. Now buyer has the money and the property, he called and said he want to keep the money and quit claim deed the property back to us. But because we paid all the fees, and the property accumulated a lot more property taxes and fees we do not want th eproperty back, we want to get the money that the buyer owes us. What rights do we have to claim the money from the buyer and how can we go about collecting it? what is the maximum we can collect ( can we collect lawyer fees if we would need to sue him)? And can we get money from PayPal? They charge us fees to be responsible for the transaction, and when buyer buys it they see proof that he bought it but then refund our money to the credit card company because they said that he didn't buy it, they should also beq responsible. PayPal also refused to give us contact information of the credit card company.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
10/11/2011
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

How much money is involved in your claim against this buyer? The reason I ask is that what you plan to do in court will cost you more than a few thousand in legal fees. Plus you will have to get past all the fine print in the eBay and PayPal contracts, which you have agreed to abide by. In the long run, you might cosider taking the deed back and re-selling the property. You have a better chance of coming out that way.

I have answered your question. Please click on ACCEPT so that I will be compensated. BONUSES for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you wish clarification of the answer, please send me a "Reply". If you have additional questions, I would be happy to assist, but as a courtesy I respectfully request that you ACCEPT the answer to your first question before branching off into other new questions.
Also, this answer does not create an attorney client relationship and you are urged to consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this answer according to your state's laws and local customs and practice.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My 19 year old son did a transaction in PayPal selling a
My 19 year old son did a transaction in PayPal selling a Supreme original shirt worth $150. Three months later, the buyer filed a claim against my son stating the shirt is not authentic. The money ($1… read more
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Managing Attorney,
My husband and I own a house and 2.65 acres in Indiana. In
My husband and I own a house and 2.65 acres in Indiana. In November 2015 we purchased the house and almost 5 acres next to our property, took some of the land and added it to our property, had both pr… read more
Attorney,
Question regarding steps to take with ebay buyer fraud...
Question regarding steps to take with ebay buyer fraud...Ebay and Paypal are trying to remove themselves from helping me with ensuring a smooth transaction..basically, I'm not getting paid for an iPho… read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I am dealing on a car and I need to know the procedure for
I am dealing on a car and I need to know the procedure for paying. The car is listed on ebay. The seller agreed to deliver the car.I am paying cash,, but my paypal acct. is only $2400.00. The price of… read more
I sold an phone on ebay.com ( PayPal company ) and I received
I sold an phone on ebay.com ( PayPal company ) and I received my money on paypal.com . after a received the money I shipped the phone by usps mail service i have the tracking # XXXXX it show that he r… read more
Attorney,
We had a guy buy an ice cream truck on 7/21/11 on ebay. Paid
We had a guy buy an ice cream truck on 7/21/11 on ebay. Paid with payments to both credit card and paypal. Purchase price was $10,500. Final payment made on 9/20/11 when they buyer hired a trucking co… read more
lwpat
lwpat
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I sold an Iphone on EBAY through Pay and Pal, the person I
I sold an Iphone on EBAY through Pay and Pal, the person I sold the phone to lives in India. The transaction amount was $590.00. I had an email exchange with the buyer letting him know what the shippi… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Attorney & Counselor,
I sold an item on ebay. The buyer paid with his credit card
I sold an item on ebay. The buyer paid with his credit card via paypal. The buyer disputed the charge with his credit card comapny. Paypal investigated the case & ruled in my favor but had to wait for… read more
I hope you can help. I need to report an ebay seller who has
I hope you can help. I need to report an ebay seller who has sold me a counterfeit item for USD8400 via paypal, with the guarantee that it is 100% authentic! The item was originally listed on Ebay, li… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
Why should a real restate deed be recorded Florida has no time
Why should a real restate deed be recorded? Florida has no time limit to record after closing?… read more
Owner,
I bought wheels on ebay. Paid with PAYPAL. Wheels were stolen.
I bought wheels on ebay. Paid with PAYPAL. Wheels were stolen. Ebay directed me to have them turned over to police and destroyed. I did. Ebay acknowledges and says that they advised PAYPAL to issue cr… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I bought a computer on ebay,payment was received Aug.19 as
I bought a computer on ebay,payment was received Aug.19 as seller's email admits,after numerous excuses for more than 2 months seller finally said computer had been sent.No computer.Seller lives in Te… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I sold an item on Ebay. The listing stated that item weighted
I sold an item on Ebay. The listing stated that item weighted approximately 300 lbs., that buyer was responsible for shipping, and that shipping cost may vary depending on destination and method of sh… read more
Attorney Wayne
Attorney Wayne
Attorney-at-Law,
I sold an item that was posted on ebay. ebay pulled ...
I sold an item that was posted on ebay. It was a 1974 guitar. ebay pulled the item because there was someone that was making false bids on my item. This guy that says he is a lawyer and the state of N… read more
Lawrence N. Rogak, Insurance Atty
Lawrence N. Rogak, Insurance Atty
Managing Attorney,
I want to sue paypal for allowing a fraudulent ...
I want to sue paypal for allowing a fraudulent transaction..I sold an item and the person used a stolen credit card number and hacked into another persons ebay account so the theft had all good inform… read more
LEV
LEV
Retired,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
I purchased property on ebay (land in Harney county ...
I purchased property on ebay (land in Harney county Oregon) five days ago with my credit card. I received "a "special warrenty" deed, have no mineral rights and think that the transaction my be bogus … read more
Travellawyer
Travellawyer
Attorney,
looking for an inexpensive debit or prepaid credit card.
HI, The following is a business question. I am looking to become an e-bay seller providing nutritional suppliments to interested consumers in hopes that I can later evolve to establishing my own web s… read more
Natasha Wallis
Natasha Wallis
Life Coach and Trainer,
Bachelor Degree
I HAVE RECENTLY SENT A PARCEL AND I WOULD LIKE TO GET IT ...
I HAVE RECENTLY SENT A PARCEL AND I WOULD LIKE TO GET IT BACK BEFORE IT LEAVES THE COUNTRY HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS… read more
4ren6
4ren6
Retired,