JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

If I hold a concealed weapons permit from Texas can I purchase

If I hold a concealed weapons permit from Texas can I purchase a firearm in the state of north Carolina, or have family member to put one on layaway until he get his permit
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

You cannot purchase a firearm for someone else. That is considered to be a "straw purchase" and violates the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor.

It's a felony crime.

The answer to your question is no.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My main question got lost---can i purchase handgun in another stated that has a reciprocal agreement with Texas or could I get a temp license in the other state since I was not going to be there very long.
You cannot use your Texas permit for that purpose. When a person desires to purchase a handgun from

a federally-licensed dealer, the person needs to comply solely with North Carolina's pistol permit

laws, and present a valid permit to purchase a handgun or valid North Carolina-issued concealed

carry permit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is Florida the same way?
In Florida, no state permit is required to possess or purchase a rifle, shotgun or handgun.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how long will I have to wait before taking the handgun "home"
Excluding weekends and legal holidays, there is a three-day waiting period to purchase a handgun from a retail establishment in Florida.