Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

hello, i am being sued for credit card dept. my only income

is social security of $1183...
hello, i am being sued for credit card dept. my only income is social security of $1183. and teamster pension of $1605. i have already had my house foreclosed on and am now renting which is costing me $1400. i am 67 have arthritis in one hip and unable to stand or walk for extended time. have tried to find a job but at my age am unable to do so as i have no office skills.also cannot afford an attorney any ideas what i should do? Ray F
10/1/2011
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Good morning. I am sorry you are in this predicament. The good news here is that those assets cannot be touched. They are considered exempt. You may want to document this to the creditor's agent who on confirming it should close the account and leave you alone as they work on commission and wont want to spend time and money if there is nothing to recover. The other alternative is to negotiate a long payment plan for a reduced amount where the creditor insists on pursuing you or you have some other assets that are not exempt such as brokerage accounts or other real estate. Until it settles or they close it, you may want to consider filing an answer in court and avoid entry of a default judgment.

Thank you very much for the question. Kindly select the ACCEPT button for the answer - that is the only way I get credit for it by JA. (even if you have deposit or a subscription)

If I can clarify anything for you before accepting, please ask me - happy to do it.

Providing positive feedback and a bonus are not required but are nice ways to say "thank you" and are greatly appreciated.

Justanswer also lets you ask for me specifically in the future simply by putting in the subject of a new question "For Infolawyer"

i live in oregon and have heard that the ss cant be touched is this also true for the pension? thanks
As a retirement account, that is correct. You may wish to further protect the assets by alerting the institutions holding them that they should not release them or freeze them accidentally. Practically for further protection what some people do is bank at small banks that creditor are less familiar with and also set up irrevocable trusts through a lawyer out of which payments are made. This offers extra layers of protection.

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney