How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 57315
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I cannot locate a person who I want to file a police report

Resolved Question:

When I cannot locate a person who I want to file a police report as well as civil law suit, can I use sources such as newspaper or facebook? I am thinking of running ads or send her facebook friends a message looking for her. Is it against law? This person is a foreigner and even a private investigator I talked to cannot guarantee if he can locate this person.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 5 years ago.
Good morning. Finding a defendant for a lawsuit is not an easy talk and one that lawyers as well work hard on using outside resources. You are by law entitled to serve the person at last known address. If you do not have such an address, you may engage in some investigation. This can include asking friends, facebook contacts, searching online directories and search sites including comprehensive person search tool. You do want to avoid discussing the claim with them people you speak to so that there is no claim you slandered the person even if you what you say is 100% true. Best of luck and have a nice weekend.

Thank you very much for the question. Kindly select the ACCEPT button for the answer - that is the only way I get credit for it by JA. (even if you have deposit or a subscription)


If I can clarify anything for you before accepting, please ask me - happy to do it.


After you click accept Justanswer gives you the option of leaving positive feedback and a bonus. These are nice ways to say "thank you" and are greatly appreciated. Justanswer also lets you ask for me specifically in the future simply by putting in the subject of a new question "For Infolawyer"

INFOLAWYER and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you