Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Quit working for a trucking company as an owner operator to

Customer Question
sign with different company, owner...
Quit working for a trucking company as an owner operator to sign with different company, owner of trucking company called owner of my truck leasing agent and had her call sheriffs dept reporting that truck had been set on fire and reported that plates were stolen even though the leasing agent has no legal rights to plates( plates have to be returned to trucking company and will be) (owners of both companies are long time friends and bussinesses are not legally linked)no contact other than automatic payment deduct between all three parties. Lease to purchase contract is between me and leasing agent. no written termination of lease has been issued by leasing to purchase agent and truck payments are currunt. Have voice mail of trucking co owner threatening to have leasing agent "handle thing" couple of days prior to recieving call from leasing co owner demanding their truck back and an hour later sherriffs were at my residence
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2011
Lawyer: Joseph, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:

• What is your specific question for a legal expert to answer?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Do any of their actions(both company owners) constitute harrasment because of the fact that the leasing agent called sherriff and reported plates stolen on behalf of trucking co and tried to have sherriffs dept take said truck for them even though no written notice was given for voluntary repossession and im not in default on my payments nor have I breached the contract. Basically the trucking co owner is teamed up with the lease agent and trying to take ruin ability to make money because they are mad I found another job. Their actions are very underhanded and im wondering if they are illegal?

An argument could certainly be made that their actions are harassing and, potentially, unlawful. Probably your best argument for a criminal charge would be something along the lines of filing a false police report. The action of reporting the plate stolen would certainly seem to fit such a charge. As to that, you might consider calling the law enforcement agency tomorrow to see if they would be willing to pursue such a charge.

You might also consider retaining an attorney to write a letter to the respective company owners demanding that they cease and desist in their actions against you. Oftentimes such a letter will get the attention of the other party and convince them to modify their conduct.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney