How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 57673
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what are the laws that are broken or ways after the other parent that was found in contemp

Resolved Question:

what are the laws that are broken or ways after the other parent that was found in contempt to be put in jail. I need to find out wat to say at the court date tohave her pay for what a man would be sitting in jail for. so i need to no what do i say and how i go about her not getting away with what her responsiablities are
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
These situations are indeed difficult and I am sorry you are going through it right now.
If there is a support order and it is not being met, you want to ask the court to issue a judgment for the amount that is owing. That judgment can then be used to recover from bank accounts. You can also ask the court to require this person to submit to questions in court about where finances are located, and where the money is so you can collect from there. Finally you want to ask the court to put pressure on the person to pay.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
that already has been done. but she keeps moving, plus since she does not have job she has no money. a lein has been put on her car. she has been let out of a 60 day contempt sen. 30 day early to follow the judges rules. 10 serches and active looking for job. nothing has been done. so i have a court date on mon and i need to no what i can say because if the shoe was on the other foot i would be in jail with no chance
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
Putting her in jail though wont get it paid. The main issue is the judgment and getting her to answer questions under oath about where she works, where she banks, what assets she has. If she has no assets, the court cannot do much more. You can give the judgment to a collection firm that can search for assets - usually that is done on commission so you lose nothing trying it. I know you want to collect and are entitled to it. The court can do what I mentioned but not more than that at this point. Collection firms can fill the gap and search for assets over time. Best of luck.


INFOLAWYER and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you