How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner (opposite sex) and I are considering ending our

Resolved Question:

My partner (opposite sex) and I are considering ending our domestic partnership. What are his responsibilities as the male/higher income person in this dissolution regarding assets/liabilities?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Absent any written contractual agreement, ME is an equitable distribution state, and a registered domestic partnership is dissolved similar to a divorce. This means the court will look at the length of the partnership and the ability of you to work and earn your own living. The court starts with the premise that they will divide everything that came into existence during the partnership 50-50 but then based on circumstances they can adjust that amount. Support in registered domestic partnerships is granted on a temporary basis in most cases and it depends on the length of the partnership and your need. The assets and debts will be split equitably as well. The court will look at what each party makes and any fault for the break up and your needs to determine how to split the property.

OF course the easiest way to settle this is to work out an agreement between the two of you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you