Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Trying to find some answers with little information. One of

Customer Question
Trying to find some answers...
Trying to find some answers with little information. One of my daughter's friends committed suicide in the state of Georgia. She became very distraught when she found out her husband was cheating. She was seven months pregnant. The husband will have nothing to do with her family. It is very complicated but was wondering is there a way for the family to get some legal help. It is a tragedy. Thank You.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2011
Lawyer: Joseph, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:

• What kind of "legal help" did you have in mind?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

To find out about her assets, etc. Just get the daughter's things. Not sure, very upset but trying to think. I do not think any toxicology tests were performed. Husband did not even want the family to see the daughter at the funeral home. It was aprivate viewing. Sorry, I have limited information. Just searching for some answers. Thank You.

When did she pass away? Has she been buried yet?

Is there a suspicion that the husband may have committed a crime related to the death?

Thank you.

She passed away on September 16, 2011. She was buried a week ago today. That is questionable .

Candidly, it may be difficult to accomplish anything here, at least, absent any compelling evidence against the husband.

If she had not yet been buried, the family could request an autopsy. With an autopsy, it could be determine if anything unusual was in her system. As the burial has already occurred, the family would need to have the body exhumed. For what is probably an obvious reason, bodies are rarely exhumed.

To pursue anything here, there would need to be something suggesting culpability on the part of the husband. For example, evidence of drugging the wife, evidence of physical abuse or a neighbor overhearing them arguing before her death. Absent something such as that, I don't see much likelihood of success here.

I regret that my answer is unfavorable, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than a truthful response.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

The husband has not been in contact with the family since the service and he did not tell her family when he found her. I guess he called 911 and it was the police who went to her mother's home. From what I am hearing he controlled her life, he kept her from her family. She was vulnerable and he took advantage of her good nature. A control freak.

I'm sorry to hear of her difficulties, it sounds like she had a very rough life with her husband.

If there is something else that you need, please let me know.

Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney