How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my credit union just pulled $2299 from my checking account for an error without my knowled

Customer Question

my credit union just pulled $2299 from my checking account for an error without my knowledge, is that legal? The money goes back to Feb of 2010 & this was an error they said on my part & another members for not reconciling our bank statements. They also admitted it was a keying error on their part as well.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Can you be more specific and give more details. thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a Visa credit card at the credit union. The $ they withdrew today were numerous payments from this year in 2011 as well as 5 from 2010. Due to a keying error, they withdrew the $ from another credit union members account and not mine. Neither one of us caught the error because neither one of us has reconciled our bank statements. The credit union DID NOT notify me today prior to just taking the $ out of my account for the mistakes & they refunded the $ back to the other member. The credit union said they only had to go back 60 days BUT they went all the way back to 2010. The credit union also said that they saved me from getting sued by the other member as well as themselves getting sued. I understand the error, but I feel they handled it very wrong & could have caused deep financial hardship to me by withdrawing all the $ at once for something that they were also at fault for. Do I have any recourse here?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
If they caused any of your checks to bounce, then you have suffered damages and they should refund you for any bank charges or other similar charges. Otherwise you have suffered no damages and have no legal recourse except to close your account and go elsewhere. Sorry.

Related Legal Questions