How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I was a high school cheerleading coach while still

Customer Question


I was a high school cheerleading coach while still employeed I order my school team uniforms in the amount of 3300 dollars. After I left the school administration said that I did not order the uniforms using correct policy and was refusing to pay the uniform company. The school then had the police contact me who advised me it would save me time, money and stress if I could to just buy the uniforms and try re-selling them. I did so back in April at which time the police informed me upon showing reciept of paid in full they would have the school return the uniforms ( now my property ) to me I did so and still have not got my property back. Instead for the past 5 months I have been playing a game of emails, phone calls and no results. I had another team lined up to buy the property from me once I got it back but now after the amount of time that has past and the fact that the school has been allowing the team to wear my property!! the other team is needless to say no longer interested in buying them.

What rights do I have to getting paid back my 3300 for this property. It is of no re-sale value now that has been being worn, dirty and used by the school team. I am getting no help from the police officer that was involved. Isnt this being in possession of stolen property on the schools end? I paid for the property there for it is mine I have not or ever given permission for the property to be used and all my requests for the property to be returned are being ignored.

What can I do to get my 3300 dollars back? Please help!!
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

I would suggest that you have a couple options to assist in the return of the money or the property....


You might consider trying the police again. If the one officer has been helpful, then utilize his services. If he has not, then consider contacting his supervising officer, perhaps the next person up the ladder might be more helpful. As you suggested, you could certainly report this as a theft. Theft is commonly defined as the taking of the property of another with the intent to deprive the person of the use of that property. The actions you have described certainly fit that definition.


You might also consider a civil lawsuit. While theft is normally handled in criminal court, the taking of another person's property can also be handled by way of a civil lawsuit.


While a criminal action could be handled for you without ever hiring an attorney, it would be prudent to retain counsel if you pursue a civil lawsuit. If you are looking for an attorney, you should begin with your state bar association. The Massachusetts State Bar has a website, it is located at


I do not know your county of residence but your county bar association likely has a similar site that will be more specific to your location. A quick Google search will locate the appropriate bar association. For example, you might search "barnstable county bar association".


Additionally, Martindale Hubbell is a national organization that rates attorneys across the country. Their website is located at


Another nationwide website is located at This site lists attorneys by geographic location and area of practice.


Additionally, there is quite likely a legal aid society in your area. A quick internet search and/or phone book search should locate the society closest to you.


Each of these resources will have a wealth of information as to attorneys in your area that handle such cases. I would suggest you check each site out and you will surely find a great number of attorneys that meet your needs. Pick a few to meet with in person so that you can thoroughly explain your situation and then retain the one that you feel can best represent your interests.


Please let me know if anything requires clarification.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.