How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10639
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello, i live out in the ranch and in 1999 i lived in my

Resolved Question:


i live out in the ranch and in 1999 i lived in my parents land. one of the utility bill was water in which was community water and would pay $11.00 a month. i went to the service in 1999 and when returning i lived there maybe a couple of months, but i kept recieving a bill from the president of the water association and i believed i resolved it with the lady then, but last month i recieved a letter with a bill in which was 11 years ago. i remember solving this because i have to even give her orders of my where abouts. this happened 11 years ago, and do not have the paper work. please help
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 5 years ago.

bizlaw :

For what year was the bill? Were you in the service when the charges were incurred? Is the bill from the local government or a private utility that handles the water for the community?


the bill is for the year of 1999, in which i could have sworn i resolved it with the bookkeeper. i was in the service when occured. the bill is from a water association in which small communitys with a well in which they use is created and maitained, the community in the year of 1999 put in a new system in which they needed to apply for a loan and then install the new system in which i was already gone. the water association has to follow rules and regulation with the New Mexico Environment Department (NMED). i hope i answered your questions and thank you for your help, i will be waiting for a reply.

bizlaw :

I think the association is a private enity and not a municipality. I think you have a statute of limitations defense to a bill that was issued more than 10 years ago. The statute of limitations is 6 years so I would challenge the bill on that basis as well as your testimony of having resolved the bill years ago.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Richard - Bizlaw and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you