Is there regulation of deer blinds in residential areas

Customer Question
?...
Is there regulation of deer blinds in residential areas ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
9/9/2011
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question and good evening.These are the laws for derr blinds in Michigan..Here are the zones and regulations statewide for deer hunting.

Hunting and Trapping and Rifle/Shotgun Zones

Michigan is divided into Hunting and Trapping Zones 1-2-3. Zone 1 includes all of the Upper Peninsula. The dividing line between Zones 2 and 3 is: From the Lake Michigan shoreline north of Muskegon Lake easterly on Memorial Drive to Ruddiman Drive to Lake Avenue, easterly on Lake Avenue to M-120 in North Muskegon, northeasterly on M-120 to M-20, easterly on M-20 to US-10, easterly on US-10 to Garfield Road in Bay County, northerly on Garfield Road to Pinconning Road, easterly on Pinconning Road to Seven Mile Road, northerly on Seven Mile Road to Lincoln School Road (County Road 25) in Arenac County, northerly on Lincoln School Road to M-61, easterly on M-61 to US-23, easterly on US-23 to center line of AuGres River, southerly along center line of AuGres River to Saginaw Bay, easterly 90 degrees east for 7 miles into XXXXX then northerly 78 degrees east to the International Boundary.

Exception: The waterfowl hunting zone lines differ from those above. Refer to the 2011-2012 Waterfowl Hunting Digest for waterfowl zone descriptions.

Michigan also is divided into a northern rifle zone, where rifles may used for firearm deer hunting, and a southern shotgun zone, where only shotguns, muzzleloading firearms and certain handguns may be used for deer hunting (see Shotgun Zone Rules). The dividing line between the northern rifle deer hunting zone and the southern shotgun zone is as follows: Starting at a point on the Lake Michigan shoreline directly west of M-46, then easterly to M-46, then easterly along M-46 to US-131 at Cedar Springs, southerly on US-131 to M-57, easterly on M-57 to Montcalm Road on the Kent-Montcalm county line, southerly on Montcalm Road and the Kent-Ionia county line to M-44, easterly on M-44 to M-66, northerly on M-66 to M-57, easterly on M-57 to M-52 near Chesaning, northerly on M-52 to M-46, easterly on M-46 to M-47, northerly on M-47 to US-10 west of Bay City, easterly on US-10 to I-75, northerly on I-75 and US-23 to Beaver Road (about 1 mile north of Kawkawlin), easterly to Saginaw Bay, north 50 degrees east to the International Boundary.

Raised Platforms and Tree Stands

The following persons may hunt from a raised platform or tree stand:

• All bow and crossbow hunters.
  • Bear and deer hunters when using a firearm.
  • Fox and coyote hunters from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.

All other firearm hunters are prohibited from using a raised platform or tree stand. A raised platform means a horizontal surface constructed or manufactured by a person that increases the field of vision of a person using the horizontal surface beyond the field of vision that normally would be attained by that person standing on the ground.

If you hunt on public land, your tree stand must be portable and your name and address must be affixed in legible English that can be easily read from the ground. Hunting platforms cannot be affixed or attached to any tree by nails, screws or bolts; however, a "T" bolt or similar device supplied by a tree stand manufacturer can be used.

Screw-in tree steps are illegal on public lands. It is illegal to use any item that penetrates through the bark of a tree in the construction or affixing of any device to assist in climbing a tree. Scaffolds, raised platforms, ladders, steps and any other device to assist in climbing a tree cannot be placed on public lands any earlier than Sept. 1, and must be removed by March 1. A permanent raised platform or tree stand may be used for hunting on private land with the permission of the landowner.

It is unlawful to use an illegal tree stand, scaffold, step, etc., regardless of who placed it on public lands. Your name on a tree stand or ground blind on public land does not guarantee exclusive use.

I'll be specific: my neighbor and I both have 5-acre parcels. He has erected a shooting platform about 200 feet from my lot line. Is it legal?
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
This would not be illegal.If he were to shoot something on your land here he would be liable and could be also charged with a crime.But the stand here per se is not illegal if he is in a hunting area and hunting during season with proper fire arm and not shooting onto your land.
Ray, Lawyer