How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need my ex-husbands social security number for SSA to determine

Customer Question

I need my ex-husbands social security number for SSA to determine if my benefits would be greater filing under his number. I cant ask him for it because he is too bitter. I am single;we were married 18 years so I know I am eligible for them.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John Legal replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

You can get the divorce decree by going down to the courthouse in TN where the divorce was granted. You can possibly get them to look it up for you and send it to you by calling the clerk in the courthouse where the divorce was granted and requesting that they look it up on microfilm.

Really there is no other legal way to get his SSN other than for him to voluntarily provide it to you or for you to find a document that contained the number.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm in Texas, not Tennessee so it is not possible for me to go to the courthouse.

Are you kidding, do you really think a clerk would be that accommodating? I don't know the date of the divorce so that is not feasible.

Expert:  John Legal replied 6 years ago.
You will not have to know the date of the divorce. They can look up the divorce based on both of your names and an approximate time frame. Most clerks are accommodating if you tell them you are from out of state. They may require you to send your request in a letter and pay for copies up front.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mr. Wills,
I already stated in my initial inquiry that I had attempted to get the information to no avail. Tennessee does not have a clerk that will look information up. That's why they work with an independent vendor so they don't have to use their resources to do mundane chores.
Expert:  John Legal replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I gave you an option. That is the option you have. You said you tried online. You are not going to get this information online. No state in the county has that sophisticated of a system.

If you want it bad enough you will go to TN and get the information.

Good Luck