How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in the military and received orders for deployment. Me

This answer was rated:

I'm in the military and received orders for deployment. Me and my exboyfriend where sharing an apartment with both names on the lease. We broke up before I left for Afghanistan. He agreed to pay the last months rent because he was still staying at the apartment. This was told to me and the individuals at the apartment complex. Months later while deployed, my grandparents told me a letter came for me and someone has been calling the house. I got the number and called them back. It was a collection agency wanting the money for the apartment. He agreed to pay and both times his checks bounced so they wanted it paid in full ($1600). When I confronted him about it and asked for my money back, or I will have to take him to court. He said so, do what you have to do. Is there any way to collect all $1600 back from him?
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question, and thank you for your faithful service to this country. The answer is that going to court is the way to get the money back from him. There is no other mechanism in place to force someone to relinquish money that is owed. The U.S. Constitution guarantees that we cannot be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law, and that means going to court. For an amount of only $1,600, it can be handled in small claims court, which is relatively quick and inexpensive.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.
Brandon M. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you