TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I was informed 180 days from the end of the lease that they

I was informed 180 days from the end of the lease that they willbe selling and will not let me out of the lease even though I will have to go thru the expense of moving. I asked if I find something before the lease is up could I give 30 days and they said no Am i stuck????
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

VAMD, Esq. :

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

VAMD, Esq. :

I'm confused: What do you mean that they will not let you out of the lease, but that you'll have to move. That seems contradictory.

VAMD, Esq. :

If you have to move, then is the lease not ended? Or, if the lease is not ended, then why would you have to move?

Customer:

well they are going to list it so it may not sell for awhile and want me to stay even after the 180 days on month to month but if I find another building I want the opportunity to be able to give 30 days and not pass up a good building that benefits my business they want the rent

VAMD, Esq. :

Well, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is this: They cannot force you to stay on after the lease expires. You do not have to go month-to-month. At the same time, you cannot cancel the lease just because the property is up for sale. You still have the same obligations, and if the property sells, then you'll have the same obligations to the new owner.

Customer:

ok thanks