Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I loaned a local business owner money and I have a notorized

Customer Question

I loaned a local business owner money and I have a notorized legal document stating it was due on August 7th. The owner yells at me and keeps putting me off. What can I legally do?
THanks Jan
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good evening. Since he won't pay you voluntarily, file a suit against him. Because you have the written note, all you have to show is he has not paid you pursuant to the document. Once you have been awarded a judgment in your favor, you can then have the sheriff serve a summons on him for a debtor examination. That forces him to meet you in court and answer questions under oath about his assets. After you obtain that information you have the power to garnish wages (as long as you are not in Tx., Pa., SC, or NC), attach bank accounts, and/or have the sheriff seize other property to satisfy the debt.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.