TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Someone had posted on Craigslist a sexually charged ad with

Customer Question

Someone had posted on Craigslist a sexually charged ad with my phone number to it today. I have gotten tons of calls and photos from men before I realized what happened. Craigslist has no boundaries for people's post/ads. Can they be sued allowing someone to post my number on their site???
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Please note that for legal reasons my answers are only intended to be general/educational information rather than specific legal advice. If you need specific legal advice, then you must consult with a local attorney in your jurisdiction.

I'm sorry to say that Craigslist has no liability here. Simply put, a website operator has no legal duty to prevent telephone numbers from being posted on his website. You may have a viable case against the person who posted your telephone number, however, depending on the circumstances (i.e., it could theoretically be considered harassment). You could try to find out who made the post by subpoenaing Craigslist's records to obtain the IP address of the offender.

I regret that my answer is generally unfavorable, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than a truthful response. With that in mind, I hope that you found value in my answer. If your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok...you say that Craigslist has no legal duty to prevent phone numbers. But, it is Craigslist site and Craigslist is allowing anyone to post anything on THEIR site about other people without any guidelines. There is no law about that?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Hi again.

The simple answer to your question is that there is no law about it. In fact, Federal law even protects website operators from lawsuits for defamation. So, for example, if somebody posted untrue statements about you online, you would have no recourse against the website operator. You'd have to sue the author. The same principles apply to phone numbers posted online. There is no legal duty to prevent it, and if there is no legal duty to prevent it, then there is no breach of a legal duty, and if there is no breach of a legal duty, then there is no case.

I truly wish I had better news. Please remember to click "accept."