How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in Calumet Co. in Wi. and our son was at a drinking

Customer Question

We live in Calumet Co. in Wi. and our son was at a drinking party the parent was not home she left the country for 10 days and left her 18 year old daughter in charge my son left the party and was killed in accident. there was a 21 year old man that bought the alcohol for my son and others at this party are they both parties liable
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

The property owner does not have any liability. The court has not seen fit to extend the liability to a social host even if they were aware. In your case they were not even aware of what was going on. You can read the case on Google Scholar, click the case radio button and enter the name of the case. It is

Nichols v. Progressive Northern Insurance Co 2008 WI 20, -- Wis. 2d --, 746 N.W.2d 220.

The person that provided the alcohol would be liable but probably has no assets and a lawsuit would be futile. I am very sorry for your loss. Perhaps you can help persuade the state legislature to overturn the Nichols decision.