How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My stepson in colusion with my spouse yesterday and today

Customer Question

My stepson in colusion with my spouse yesterday and today cleaned out several bank accounts I held jointly with my spouse. I learned only late yesterday that my spouse had applied to Family Probate Court (filed 7-26-2011) to have her son appointed her conservator. He is the stepson referred to above. I had no previous knowledge of any of this, and a hearing is set for 9-6-11. I was served papers today by the woman who assisted my spouse in the filing. I am not ordered to appear. Is there any use in my appearing to contest? I should add that my spouse's age is 82.  Mine is 78
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Is there any use in my appearing to contest?

Is your spouse incapacitated? What are the grounds for appointing a conservator? How much money are we talking about? Are you wanting to divorce?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not really incapacitated. She has high blood pressure and the usual ache and pains associated with her age. Her claim is that "proposed conservatee is unable to identify the existanxce or location of bank accounts....spouse controls any and all joint accounts and has either been unwilling to share requested information or conservatee fears her spouse and cannot discuss financial matters with him....Finally proposed conservatee does not possess the knowledge needed to manage her investments once they have been located."
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
It sounds to me like you need to file for a divorce. Here is the information.

Here is the attorney referral site

You should consult an attorney but I would think that you would want to appear and refute some of the claims. Best of luck to you.

an accept for my time is always appreciated and required for me to receive any credit from JA