Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was recently approved for an Accidental Death Benefit from

Customer Question
the New York City Employee's...
I was recently approved for an Accidental Death Benefit from the New York City Employee's Retirement System, under the NYS Retirement and Social Security Law, Article 15; Section 607, for my husband's death, which was deemed to be a Qualifying Condition resulting from his work on and following 9/11/01. I understand that I do not have to pay City or State Taxes on this Accidental Death Benifit, but what about Federal Tax? Is this Accidental Death Benefit that I receive subject to Federal tax?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
9/1/2011
Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 6 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

I am very sorry for your loss. The death benefit is similar to life insurance and is not taxable either city, state or Federal. Best wishes to you and your family.
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
lwpat
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney