How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my parents were staying at a hotel. this hotel had their credit

Resolved Question:

my parents were staying at a hotel. this hotel had their credit card on file. my mother went alone to the restaurant on site around 6 pm and ate. the waitress was unaccomodating throughout my moms meal, she sat with an empty plate and empty drink for a long period of time (3 or 4 others in the entire establishment) and at last the waitress walked into the kitchen where she stayed. my mother waited for over 15 minutes, then decided that the credit card would surely be charged and the worst thing she was doing was stiffing the incompentent waitress out of a tip. Later, in my parents room at around 10:30 at night A policeman banged on the door. my dad went to the door and offered the police man entrance. the policeman refused. he told my dad to come outside. my dad complied. he said " easy way or hard way??" threw my 60-yr-old father into the wall and demanded money for the bill. my dad gave him $40. my dad re-entered the hotel room where my mother was. He was bleeding from the force inflicted by the officer when he was thrown against the wall. unnerved and without recourse, they went to sleep, woke in the morning, packed and left.
this seems absolutely wrong to say the least. Their credit card was on file and this is how they knew who to charge the bill to, instead they called police. what can we do to get justice in this matter?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your problem. You bet it is illegal! I would actually start with contacting your nearest FBI field office and report this as police corruption matter--give them the first opportunity to get involved. If they don't feel the facts or evidence are there to get involved at this time, file a report with the agency's internal affairs division. If they are not big enough to have an internal affairs division, report it to a supervising lieutenant.

Separately, you have the option to sue the officer civilly pursuant to 42 U.S.C. sec. 1983.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.
Brandon M. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you