How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed a lawsuit in Cochise County against two parties and

Resolved Question:

I filed a lawsuit in Cochise County against two parties and they answered in one answer and cited the wrong case number XXXXX the answer. Can I file for a default judgement on the grounds that they did not answer within the 20 days allotted?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John Legal replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

You can and should file a motion for default judgment. However, the court will likely give them "leave" to amend the complaint to correctly identify the file number. You file the motion on the off chance that the court allows you to default them on a technicality.

Courts have liberal room to allow them to amend and most judges will allow the amendment as there is enough information in their response to give you sufficient notice of their response.
John Legal and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you