How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have an old mailing address of my fathers house which

Resolved Question:

Hi, I have an old mailing address of my father's house which mail has been going too still, for personel safety resonse i can not provide a forwarding address. He has opened mail addressed with only my name on it and acted which is documented causing more problem's for myself in a pending divorce. My understanding that if i do not live there he should mark return to sender, let be able to open my personel/business mail? I am 40 years old male and make my own choice's however he seem's to think he is helping me but actually hurting me more. I feel for him because he is 79 and has more and more dementia onset. On a personel note due to being treated like a child for all 40 year's of my life with him trying to "control" my life i became very sucidal and did almost end my own life several time's. I am fine today after a two year struggle to find myself or who i am inside being comfortable which i am. My question is would this be an invasion of privacy? I have also found out a sister has gone into his house without permission and removed my finacial record's that he had kept, would that also qualify as invasion of privacy? The family that i have no contact with or care to anymore is finacialyl powerfull in a private business with illegal practice's that i participated in unknowingly for year's cheating and stealing from the goverment. These are not my moral's or value's and was one reason i had a hard time living with myself. I don't want anymore problem's but this behavior need's to stop by my family and feel the only way to make it happen is to file a civil suit against those involved. I could also be a "whistleblower" on there business practice's and might just do if granted imunity by the agencies involved.
thank you, steve
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.


To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  1. Why do you still use his address?
  2. Is there some reason you cannot contact each entity directly and give them your correct address?
  3. How long has this been going on?



Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.


Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. i have been transiant all over the country the past two year's in an rv/camper and at a time it was convient to use his address and fincial advice however he is not compentant anymore.

2. I am going to have a po box and have been comtacting each entity individually to resolve. Or i might be setting up a llc out of montana for all corespondent's to safely be forwarded to me wherever i am.

3. This has been going on since i was 22 year's old and moved out of a different home and he changed what he wanted to on his new home. ie. 500,000 stock broker's account, bank account's that at one time he has signing right's on, etc..

I am not paranoid but when big corperation's (100's of million if not billion's) and a 25-30 million private business are exposed i risk alot. YES, i have directly been threatened by my own family. Sad but true.....

Thank you, steve



Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

You do have potential civil and criminal remedies for your situation.


From a civil perspective, you could file a lawsuit alleging a violation of your privacy. The suit would allege that you have explicitly stated that he is not to open your mail but, despite this demand, he continues to open our mail. As the mail contains potentially sensitive information, this constitutes a violation of your privacy.


From a criminal perspective, it is a federal offense to interfere with another person's mail. This would, of course, include opening another person's mail without their permission.


Having said that, I would suggest that there are problems inherent in any action you might try. First, as a family member, there is an impression that permission exists to open the mail.


Compounding the problem is the sheer length of time that this has been going on. It would be difficult enough if this had been going on for a week or two but with it continuing for nearly twenty years, I would suggest that you have no reasonable probability of success. And, of course, your father could easily argue that you had ample time to put in a change of address over that twenty year period of time.


Instead, you might consider retaining an attorney to write a demand letter for you. The attorney would "demand" a certain action, that being to leave the mail undisturbed. You would be surprised how often a simple letter from an attorney can make a difference.


Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, you really need to put in a change of address and/or notify every entity that might send you important letters. Otherwise, it seems this problem may continue for a long time to come.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you