Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have worked for a company almost 30 years and have been in

Customer Question
upper management for over 20...
I have worked for a company almost 30 years and have been in upper management for over 20 of those years. My Father in Law is the owner of the business and his daughter (my wife) is the only other officer in the company besides My Father in Law. I hired my best friend and within 6 months my best friend and my wife had an affair. The owner fired my best friend but continued to pay him for almost 2 years. My wife (now ex wife) received no punishment. Is this a legal procedure, and if it is not how should it have been handled?

Mark
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
9/1/2011
Lawyer: Justice4U, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Justice4U
Justice4U, Attorney

I am an expert at JustAnswer and will be assisting you. I would like to address a few important issues before answering your question.

Please remember that I receive no credit for assisting you unless you accept my response. You cannot accept when I make an inquiry, rather you can only do so after you have received an answer. I answer questions based on the amount offered and rely on customers to follow through and "accept." Please remember that this is a chat or a dialogue so please reply to me if you have any questions regarding the information I provide.

Please note, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, no legal advice is being provided, no attorney-client relationship will be established and only general information is provided so that you may analyze your situation.

ANSWER:

There is no law requiring an employer to take action against employees engaged in such unethical behavior. Generally, employers prohibit such behaviors out of fear of claims of sexual harassment. There is no obligation for an employer to take adverse action against either party involved in an affair.

Thank you

Please do not forget to accept the answer if satisfied. I only receive credit for answering your question if you accept and you can continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting.
Justice4U
Justice4U
Justice4U, Attorney