Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can someone tell me if I can a Maine drivers license that

Customer Question
Can someone tell me if...
Can someone tell me if I can a Maine driver's license that was lost and need to renew at the Maine BMV, will I get arrested if I have a Texas felony warrant from 2005? I need a second opinion. What does the BMV check and will the felony come up? I am getting mixed answers on this site.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/1/2011
Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 6 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

It is highly unlikely that you would be arrested at the BMV. They usually do not check for outstanding wants and warrants that do not show on your driving record.
How will I know for sure. The lawyer I just messaged with on this site said it will absolutely show up when I go to the Maine BMV and they run my info.
The only way to know for sure is to go and see what happens. There are no guarantees.
What kind of checks does the Maine BMV run? I already paid to check my driving record in Maine and it came back clear. Do they check for out of state warrants?
I will opt out and allow other experts the opportunity to answer.
Do you push the question out, or do I have to go back and ask through the web site again?
Lawyer: LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer replied 6 years ago
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with motor vehicle and criminal law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question seeing another legal expert has opted out. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification after reviewing the following information.
  2. "I need a second opinion." I will be glad to lend my voice. I have been admitted to the State Bar of Texas (active and in good standing) since 1997. I side strongly on the side of you not encountering an arrest when you go in to renew. In other words, my answer is "No" when you ask if you will be arrested. An honest assessment is the best that any of us working in the venue can offer, meaning we cannot offer absolutely firm guarantees, promises or assurances. Keeping that limitation in mind, however, I can say that in my estimation your chances of being arrested at the Maine office on account of the outstanding Texas warrant are virtually nil, incredibly low, negligible, next to zero.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

I have more to add.
I lost my wallet the other day which is why I must go to the BMV to replace my Maine driver's license which doesn't expire until next year. On top of this, I was married two years ago. In losing my wallet, I have decided to go ahead and make the effort to go to the social security office here in Maine to change my last name. On top of this, when I was issued my Maine license 4 years ago, they put the wrong DOB on the license and I was not aware of that until I received my official license in the mail weeks later. I never went back to correct the mistake because I never had my birth certificate from Texas. I now have this and when I go to the DMV, will I be charged with a crime for not correcting it sooner and for having that warrant? Or with the incorrect DOB, will it prompt the clerk to run a full background on me which would result in a warrant and arrest?

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.

I do ask that you kindly press "Accept" on the honor system to process my answer.

1. "I now have this and when I go to the DMV, will I be charged with a crime for not correcting it sooner and for having that warrant? Or with the incorrect DOB, will it prompt the clerk to run a full background on me which would result in a warrant and arrest?" Even in light of this additional information, which I appreciate you supplying, I will stand by my original answer. Put differently, nothing further you have shared gives me serious cause for concern over an arrest. Truthfully, the only thing you can do is get this whole mess straightened out so it does not continue to haunt you every day.

I hope all goes smoothly for you with this matter.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

[Please click "Accept" -- this is the only way I get paid for my work and services provided.]

LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer