How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been served with legal papers (a civil limited suit.)

This answer was rated:

I have been served with legal papers (a civil limited suit.) It is old credit card debt, unsecured. My only income is social security/disability and I barely break even with living expenses. What happens after the plaintiff gets a judgement against me? Can he take my cars?
How old is it? How long since your last payment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Last payment was made in May of 2009.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When the plaintiff gets a judgment against me and I am unable to pay, can they take my personal property (cars)?

California has a four year statute of limitations on credit card debt. They cannot attach your social security but they could attach your bank account. You would need to ask the judge to exempt the account that you deposit that money into. I don't know how many cars you have but they normally cannot attach your personal vehicle.
lwpat and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you