How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118765
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father died in 1987, leaving a fairly large estate in San

Resolved Question:

My father died in 1987, leaving a fairly large estate in San Joaquin County consisting of a ranch and greenhouse to his second wife, my step mother. Even though he had told me in her presence that we were to share the ranch, no will surfaced and she rejected my claim for half the property. She is now 95 and in a nursing home. Her brother and his family apparently have been occupying the ranch and operating it for their profit. When my step mother dies, I am assuming she will leave the estate to her brother and his son. Do I have any rights, and can I challenge any property transfer?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Was the estate ever probated? If it was and you did not challenge it, then you no longer have any rights to challenge the estate and she gets to leave it to anyone she would choose. Also, you may have received some improper advice about the estate, but even at that the statute of limitations to pursue the lawyer is expired and you can no longer sue him for malpractice. Under the CA intestate laws, as a descendant who was not the child of the surviving spouse you did have an entitlement to a share of your dad's estate at the time, but if she probated the estate and you did not challenge then you have now lost that right. See:

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you