How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13486
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:


Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, please do not hesitate to reply if you have additional questions or need more information.


The police can arrest a person for being under the influence of drugs or alcohol in public. Police encounter citizens in an intoxicated/drug induced state often in their line of work; while they may not know the exact drug a person is on, a person may be acting erracticly, violently, hallucinating, may be unresponsive to demands of officers, etc.


The bigger issue here is why did they stop the person initially? In order to stop the person, police need at least reasonable suspicion to do so. That's a very low burden, it generally means something like knowledge sufficient for an ordinary person to believe that cirminal activity has been or is being committed. So, a person just walking down minding their own business who is stopped and arrested may have an argument to challenge the arrest for lack of probable cause. However, if that person is spotted coming out of a known drug house and walking down an area full of dealers when the police spot them, then police do have probable cause to stop them.



JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code, and compensate me for my time as you would any other professional.


DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you