How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41014
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How complex is a name change (first name only) in NJ

Resolved Question:

How complex is a name change (first name only) in NJ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 5 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good morning.A petition for a name change is a simple process and can be done by you without a lawyer.You file the petition here and then appear in front of the judge.You go over the request and the judge should grant it.Once you have the order you can change all your identification including drivers license, ssn, passport, etc.

RayAnswers :

Free form for you to file

RayAnswers :

Petition for Change of Name of Adult

State of New Jersey
County of ________________
Court _____________________________
Docket No. ________________________
Name of Petitioner:_____________________________In re: Change of Name of Adult
From: _____________________________
To: _______________________________

Petitioner makes the following declaration:

1. Birth Date and Place: Petitioner was born on _______________________, ______ in ________________________ [city], ________________________ [county], ________________________ [state]. A certified copy of petitioner's birth certificate is attached to this petition.

2. Birth Name: Petitioner was named ____________________________________________ at birth, and as of the date of this petition, the Petitioner has always been known by that name, with the following exceptions, if any:
[list all legal names previously held].

3. Residence: Petitioner resides at _______________________ [insert residential address] and has lived at this address for ________ [insert length of time in months or years at this address].

4. Petitioner's Parents: The father of the Petitioner is named ______________________________________________, and he resides at _____________________________________________________________________________ [insert residential address of father]. The mother of the Petitioner is named ______________________________________________, and she resides at _____________________________________________________________________________ [insert residential address of mother].

5. Reason for Name Change: Petitioner seeks to change his or her name to ______________________________________________ and offers the following reason(s) for seeking to do so:

6. Legal and Creditor Status: Petitioner does not have any outstanding judgments, has never been convicted of a crime, and is not involved in any pending legal actions.

7. Additional Declarations: In addition to the foregoing statements, the Petitioner further declares:
[insert additional declarations, if any].

NOW, THEREFORE, the Petitioner requests that the court order the Petitioner's name changed as follows:

From: ____________________________________________
To: ______________________________________________


I, ______________________________________________[name of Petitioner], affirm under penalty of perjury that I am the Petitioner in the foregoing Petition to Change Name of Adult and that all statements in this Petition are accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Petitioner's SignatureDate

Petitioner's Address, Line 1


Petitioner's Address, Line 2

Subscribed and sworn to before me on this ____ day of __________________, 20_____.


RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.



Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.


RayAnswers :

More reference

RayAnswers :

A Complaint for name change must be filed in the Superior Court in the County in which the person resides. An Order Fixing a Hearing Date is submitted and the Judge signs it and assigns a date when the matter will be heard. The Petition and the Order are served upon various governmental agencies who are given an opportunity to file an objection to the change of name if they so choose. Proof of this service must be filed with the Court. They are also published in the local paper in the legal notice section. The individual seeking the name change must then appear in Court for the Hearing. If the Judge is satisfied that the person has a legitimate reason to change his or her name and is not seeking to do so for any improper purpose then the Judge will grant the name change and sign an Order. This Order must then be publishes in the local paper and filed with the Secretary of State of New Jersey. The Judge also assigns a date on which the person may begin using their new name.The process of obtaining a name change usually takes between 60 and 90 days.

RayAnswers :

More how to do it here


Does this require advertising the name change?

Ray and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you