How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A mortgage modification company in FLorida took $995.00 out

This answer was rated:

A mortgage modification company in FLorida took $995.00 out of my bank account without my permission. They promised to put it back after 30 to 60 days. It did not happen. I went through the BBB and the owner of the business keep asking me for more things faxed to him. I realize he is just stinging me along and I want to take him to Smal Claims Court. Can I do that even though I live in Illinois?

Thank you

WebLaw :

*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

WebLaw :

You may file a small claims action in small claims court in Illinois since the Florida company did business in Illinois

WebLaw :

That said you may also file a complaint with the Florida Atty. Gen.'s office. It is not legal in Florida to charge an upfront fee for mortgage modification

WebLaw :

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click accept.

Ellen and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions