How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have been renting in idaho from same landlord for 10 years

Resolved Question:

i have been renting in idaho from same landlord for 10 years under a oral agreement
now landlord dies and land is passed to son. my oral agreement was that i could rent property for as long as i lived and i payed rent of 500.00 for 12 acres for 10 years without no complications.
what can i count on. i do have a room mate that was there and witnessed all oral transactions.
we planned to live here forever or the rest of our time and we have bought several animals and outbuildings and have a small business in our garage.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I am sorry but an oral transaction is not binding. Under law, specifically the Statute of Frauds, any contract involving land (which includes either sale, purchase, or renting or leasing) has to be in writing. Without a binding contract you are deemed to be a month-to-month tenant and that means that the son, at any time, can give you notice and request that you vacate the premises. The only way to avoid such a situation is to actually get a written and signed agreement with the new owner where he agrees to keep you on premises under a long term lease.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what happens if i am disabled im sorry for falling asleep last night it was too late.

i am disabled and hear that it can take mos or years to make someone with a disability move what can i do to stay longer i will pay you today also thanks.

Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your follow-up.

Actually what you hear is not quite correct. If the individual follows the proper process under state law, he can probably get you to leave in about 2-3 months. However if you fight it, extend the hearings, claim ownership or interest in property, or otherwise attempt to extend the process, then you may end up staying on the premises longer, possibly by 6 months.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you