How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

So what if thefatherof thechild has his Grandfather adjust

Resolved Question:

So what if thefatherof thechild has his Grandfather adjust his income toa lesser amount after the baby is born? Are they able to verify the income that he has made of the paast few years , or the 18,000. that is froma lawsuit from him falling througha glass when he was young and unable to recieve it until 18 - ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

His prior assets such as a settlement when he was a child will not be factored into the support but his current income would be factored into the support obligation. If his current income is adjusted to intentionally lower his income then you can ask for prior years tax returns to prove it was done to avoid child support and the court can set the child support amount based upon what should be his anticipated correct income.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.


He was not able to recieve the money until he was 18 yrs old so he has only recieved the 18,000. annual settlement forthe past 2 yrs...still not part of his income since it was from an accident 13 yrs ago? What if Grandfather has been paying him under the table/off the books? Proving that is difficult right?


Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.
The settlement is not income. It is not a regular source of income. The court could under extreme circumstances consider it but that would come into play if he was unemployed and claiming he had not funds since he was unemployed.

Payment under the table is always a problem but you would have to prove his income and the only way to do that is the prior years tax returns I mentioned in my last post. Often it will turn upon credibility of witnesses.
Daniel Solutions and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you