Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I would like to get a copy of the financial statement my exs

Customer Question
I would like to get...
I would like to get a copy of the financial statement my ex's boyfriend files. I know his son & ex live in florida - not sure if near orlando or tampa. How can I get a copy of financial statements he has filed.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
8/1/2011
Lawyer: Joseph, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney

Welcome back! As to this issue, I assume he filed the financial affidavit in a lawsuit, correct? What kind of lawsuit? What do you know about his location?

Thank you.

I'm assuming he filed a financial statement in his divorce in Florida. I know his kids name is Jackson.

Hopefully you can narrow down in what county the litigation is taking place. If so, you can search the website for each county clerk of court. For example, if he is in Orlando, you could search "orange county clerk of court". Or, if he is in Tampa, you can search "hillsborough county clerk of court". Once you find the website, they allow a search for the person's name. You can then determine which county has the case.

Once you know the correct county, you can then contact the clerk of court and request a copy of the document. Any filing in an ongoing case is considered a matter of public record. As such, you are entitled to a copy. There will likely be a small fee, but probably less than $10.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph
Joseph, Attorney

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.

Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney