Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My divorce was finalized on Feb. 14th, 2011. My ex-husband

Customer Question

My divorce was finalized on Feb. 14th, 2011. My ex-husband and I have a 4 year old. The divorce papers state that we have 50/50 split custody with our son (we alternate weeks as defined in the divorce papers). My ex-husband does what I think is a really poor job at keeping me informed of what goes on with my son when I am not around him or it is not my week. He is also habitually late when meeting me for custody exchange. My ex is still being emotionally and verbally abusive when I have contact with him with matters directly effecting our son.

Here is what I would like: to be kept informed about ALL major things regarding my son, my ex husband to stop being emotionally/verbally/mentally abusive toward me when I contact him with an issue that directly effects our son, and for him to stop being late when it is my turn to have our son.

Here are my questions: What (if anything) are my legal rights in regards XXXXX XXXXX I want (from the above)? What can be done to legally stop him from constantly be late?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: My divorce was finalized on Feb. 14th, 2011. My ex-husband and I have a 4 year old. The divorce papers state that we have 50/50 split custody with our son (we alternate weeks as defined in the divorce papers). My ex-husband does what I think is a really poor job at keeping me informed of what goes on with my son when I am not around him or it is not my week. He is also habitually late when meeting me for custody exchange. My ex is still being emotionally and verbally abusive when I have contact with him with matters directly effecting our son.

Here are my questions: What (if anything) are my legal rights in regards to what I want (from the above)?

Response 1: You have rights to be informed of what is going on with your son when he has the child. You have rights not to be abused, emotionally, verbally, and mentally.

What can be done to legally stop him from constantly be late?

Response 2: You need to file Complaint for Contempt against him and he would be ordered to show cause why he should not be held in contempt of court not only for his tardiness, but for not informing you about major things that go on with your child during his custody, and for mental, verbal and emotional abuse. The forms for filing the complaint for contempt are available at the Courthouse at the Clerk's office. The forms are self-explanatory. However, if you need assistance completing the forms, ask the Clerk.