How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what do I have to do to get a family friend to be an officiant

This answer was rated:

what do I have to do to get a family friend to be an officiant to my wedding?
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

If you are going to get married in California he will have to become a priest, minister or rabbi.
Only they and judges can marry you in California.
lwpat and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply, currently the family member in question is a DA and thus, a bar certified lawyer. Does this make my family friend in question any more enabling for the duties involved? Also, there is no religion involved in this wedding why do we need a religious title to marry us?
If there is no religion, then you can get married by a justice of the peace. that is the law in California and being an attorney makes no difference. Sorry.