How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was terminated from my employer after coming back from FMLA.

Resolved Question:

I was terminated from my employer after coming back from FMLA. I was continually having problems with my supervisor and filed a harassment lawsuit in which the company decided to settle rather than going to court. I will receive $15,000, for the previous year of work, and $3,000 of this is considered back wages. I am on unemployment, and want to know how much of this settlement I have to acknowledge to the unemployment office so I do not get in trouble with the government. Will I lose my unemployment pay because of this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You have to acknowledge any part attributed to wages. The issue with unemployment if you earned any wages that week and the amount to compensate you for the wrong is not wages.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So, I will have to report the $3000 to unemployment for back wages from 2010?-Or are you saying that this is not considered wages?


Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The back wages will have to be reported, they are wages. Then unemployment will adjust your future benefits or you may have to pay back for benefits under the time when you received back pay.
Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you