How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At 16 years of age with seperated parents, could I legaly choose

Customer Question

At 16 years of age with seperated parents, could I legaly choose which parent I live with if the parent I am currently living with wishes to send me to my fathers? What I am asking is if the parent I am currently living with wishes to send me to my fathers do I have say against it or would I have to go?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
We are not permitted to answer questions submitted by a minor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am 18 years of age. I am asking this question because my brother is 16 years of age and has been threatened to be taken to our fathers and he does not want to go. I am asking if he could choose whether or not to go. I asked it as if I was the 16 year old because I once also faced that same threat of being sent to my fathers and did not want to go.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
Welcome Back --

I thought that you might be asking the question for someone else since I just responded to your other question.

In order for your brother to be sent to your father's, your father has to consent. If your father does not consent, he cannot be forced to take custody of your brother. However if both parents determine that it is in your brother's best interests to live with your father, they may petition the court to change custody and the court will typically grant the request
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you :)

If I could I would like to jump back to that other question about me and the girl I am dating. I am 18 and she is 17 incase you forgot :) If we were to stay in the same house and share the same bed to sleep in would we be able to do so? I would think so if we could do things but it doesn't hurt to ask. :) You have been very helpful.

Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Since your girlfriend is a minor, she would require her parents permission to reside in a home other than the home of her parents.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So if I were to reside in her home that would be fine?

Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

yes-- since you are 18, you may choose to reside anywhere you like. Therefore you can reside in your girlfriend's home with her parents permission
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

FYI - if you choose to marry, your girlfriend will require parental consent prior to the age of 18

Please remember to click accept as that is the only way that I am paid for my time