How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How would I be able to change my name when Im overseas

This answer was rated:

How would I be able to change my name when I'm overseas?
Can your define overseas? Are you now a resident in your new country or is Washington your home state? Why do you want to change?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
South Korea. I am a native-born U.S. citizen. Washington is my home state. I would like a fresh start.
You will need to return to the US and establish residency in order to change your name and passport. I don't know of any way that it can be done in South Korea. You can ask the American consulate but I believe that they will confirm what I have told you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I haven't gone to Korea yet. So, would I have to do it before I leave the country?
Yes and you would need to change your passport and all ID. That could take some time.

An accept for my time is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How much time do you think it would take?
Probably three weeks after filing to get into court and then another four to six weeks to get everything changed over. The passport will be the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What if I expedited my passport process?
As I said, that is what will probably take the longest after you get the court order. I can't predict how fast a government agency will get anything done.
lwpat and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you