How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If youre charged with a sex crime in one state (california)

Customer Question

If you're charged with a sex crime in one state (california) and it is not a registerable offence, and you then expunge this record, if you move to a state where that charge would have required sex offender registration, because the charge is expunged do you still have to register in that other state, and also due to the fact that the specific charge does not require registration in the current state (california). Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

When a crime is expunged from a person's record it is removed and legally the person is viewed as if the conviction never happened, so there would be no need to register in the new state because there would be no conviction.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just to clarify, if I was convicted of 261.5c in California and it was expunged and then I move to say Georgia and the equivalent of that charge requires registration, I would not need to register because the charge 261.5c was expunged in California ?
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.
If you are able to get the conviction expunged in CA, then your statement would be correct.
Daniel Solutions and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Want to feel releived from your response but a similar question was asked on here before and the attorney stated California expungement is not true expungement here is link Can you help clarify if this is truly the case thank you
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.
California does not allow a true expungment. I never stated that California will expunge a sex related conviction. Your original question did not center around that point.

If you want to know if you can expunge a conviction that has been classified as a sex crime where you ARE a required to register then the answer is no you can not get it expunged.