Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
18695994

I have about 15 to 20,000.00 dollars in personal property stuck

I have about 15 to 20,000.00 dollars in personal property stuck at a remote Cabin:

I Have not been able to remove my belongings from a cabin I occupied in California, because the road was washed out over the winter.

The owner wants me to pay back rent to be able to fix the road and won't let come back on to the property.

I don't think I should have to pay anything since it is a one mile walk down to the cabin, and in my opinion makes the cabin uninhabitable.

There is no written rental agreement, and I was under the impression for some time that I was trading work on the cabin in leu of rent.

it is only just recently that she sent me an email asking me to pay the rent after 15 months and never once asking me to pay rent verbally or in writing.

She wants 3,000.00! including rent during the time that I have not been able to get to the cabin by truck.
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.
Why didn't you take your belongings when you left?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Because the owner would not let me return to the cabin with a vehicle to continue to remove my belongings I was to wait until the spring when they would let me drive on the road.
Under the circumstances you describe the owner cannot charge you rent for the period she would not allow you to retrieve your things. Also, she cannot claim lost income because if there was not access she has no basis for claiming that she could have rented the cabin.If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.