How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Florida, Broward County, need legal advise if I should hire

Resolved Question:

In Florida, Broward County, need legal advise if I should hire a lawyer, how much does it cost...I am being charged with Battery on an officer, I pushed him (away it was not super aggresive), code is XXX-XX-XXXX. Is this a felony or misdemeanor -- how do I get it dropped, never had any criminal record before. Had a $3K Bond but was let out on own coninciese. Need a recommendation. Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


The charge of battery on a law enforcement officer is a second degree felony charge, punishable by up to 15 years.


You need to hire a local criminal defense lawyer that is well connected to the system to assist you with this as he be able to convince the state that the officer approves of a reduced misdemeanor charge of battery or resisting arrest without violence.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Follow up question: as I do not have any previous criminal record and never been involved with the court given the situation you recommend I hire a local criminal defense lawyer vs. using the public defendant. I like to get this dropped or reduced to a misdemeanor. Thank you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Yes, because a reputable criminal defense lawyer will have more political pull to hopefully get the police officer to back off. Sometimes, public defenders are just going through the motions and given the felony nature of the charge, you don't want to risk it.



Maverick and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you