How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118718
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are 75 year old US Citizens. We receive SSI and have been living in Ashford Parkside S

Resolved Question:

We are 75 year old US Citizens. We receive SSI and have been living in “Ashford Parkside Senior Residences” since September 1, 2010. On 05/26/2011 with the request to vacate our apartment by June 27, 2011. We were told that this decision was made by Housing Authority of Dekalb County due to we don’t have any rights to occupy this property because it is on Section 8. In January, 2010 we filled out an application for apartment, provided a letter from the SSA on our SSI, a letter from DEFCS on food stamps and other necessary documentation to prove our right to subsidized housing. After 6-7 months of waiting they invited us to see the available apartment, saying that permission for the settlement of the Housing Authority of Dekalb County had been received and that we could move in September 2011. We signed the "Rental Agreement", received the keys from previous Property Manager. In our presence he contacted the Housing Authority of Dekalb County to clarify the amount of monthly payment and
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I am sorry, your post was cut off. Can you complete your question so I can best assist you? Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

. In our presence he contacted the Housing Authority of Dekalb County to clarify the amount of monthly payment and said that we would have to pay $ 254.00 a month. We were absolutely sure that were going to move in ordinary apartment for low-income citizens. Nobody ever told us that this apartment is on Section 8 and that living there requires authorization from the Housing Authority of Dekalb County, as the current manager states.

Approximately 2-3 months ago management "Ashford Parkside Senior Residences" changed. Previous manager disappeared and, as it turned out all our files and documents that would prove our legal rights to live in this apartment have gone with him. In addition, new manager stated that ourfamily is not listed in "Ashford Parkside Senior Residences" at all and some other people who have never lived there are registered in this apartment.

It became obvious that we are victims of swindlers who cheated us, destroyed all our documents and disappeared. To all our questions such as where is previous managerand whether he has an explanation, the new manager replied that he has gone and it is impossible to find him (!!!) and that the present management of "Ashford Parkside Senior Residences" has no answers to many questions and the only solution is to vacate the apartment.

We are absolutely sure that when we received an apartment as low-income people in 2010 we did not violate any laws and it is not our fault that there were some people in the management of "Ashford Parkside Senior Residences" who committed fraud with apartments.
We are old, sick people suffering from chronic diseases. My wife has Coronary Artery Disease and High Blood Pressure. She had a Stroke. And in 2010 she was diagnosed with Leukemia (SLL), in connection with what she is being observed in the Winship Cancer Institute. We have no possibility to move to another place of residence. We have nowhere to go. We receive $ 1011.00 per month per family, which is absolutely not enough to pay for market apartment. In addition, due to age and health condition this stressful situation and moving to another place will be simply deadly for us. We will not tolerate it. It is going to be a tragedy for us.

It is very painful that in old age the honest, law-abiding citizens became victims of cynical deception, injustice and have to pay with their health and perhaps life for someone's crime. We believe that it is unfair to punish us for the crime committed by others.
We are asking for your help and advice how we can solve our problem. The only goal that we have is to avoid relocation and retain the right to live in this apartment.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry that you are in this situation. Regardless of the swindle that you may have been a part of, that does not grant you a right to apartment, from my best knowledge. As such, I will open your question to other experts who may have some legitimate ideas as to your options because after reviewing your situation, I do not see an option that would be successful.

Hold on, please.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please open my question to everyone who can help in any way. We do not know what to do. We need help. Believe me it is very serious for us....
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry to hear of your dilemma, but I am afraid that you will have to get in contact with the Delkab Housing Authority and you will need to work with them to prove your eligibility for the section 8 residence again. Also, if you do not pack up and leave based on the eviction notice you received, they will have to sue you in court for eviction and these facts you disclosed would be a very powerful defense to prevent them from evicting you. The problem is that you will need to do the work to recreate the documents from social services and everyone to show that you do indeed qualify for the section 8 housing and it was not your fault they had a manager who took all of the records. You need to go to the local senior center and many times they have attorneys there who can represent seniors for free in these matters and if not you need to call the state bar and ask for the pro bono attorneys in your area who can assist you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118718
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you